11.22.2009

The Homes of Aerin Lauder

Photo: {this is glamorous}, edited from Allure magazine

I always find it inspiring to read about successful young women, find out about their road to success and learn how they really live.

Aerin Lauder Zinterhofer, the granddaughter of Estee Lauter, has definitely become one of those people to me. Of course, she had the good (great!) fortune of being born into the Lauder family, and with that came many perks; unlimited amounts of make up ranking highest on her list, I'm sure. In all seriousness though, Aerin seems to be a classy and intelligent woman who balances life between roles as wife and mother of two, and Senior Vice President for Estee Lauder. And of course, her homes in East Hampton and New York City are as glamorous and elegant as you would imagine.


In the July/August issue of Elle Decor (yes I know I'm behind the times), they captured both of her tastefully chic homes. Together, they are truly two of my favourite "celebrity" homes, and her use of whites, blues and feminine accents have created quite a signature look. (Supposedly this was a favourite colour combination for Estee, and Aerin has stayed true to a lot of her traditional taste.) There's an element that reminds me of Celerie Kemble's style (which I also love), and despite its formality, I really can picture two young boys running around either house.


Aerin worked with Victoria Borus of B Five Studio, but it's very apparent that she has her own innate sense of style based on her fashion choices, and more importantly, her position as Creative Director at Estee Lauder. In the article, Aerin even gives a little decorating advice:
1. "The easiest way to freshen up a room is a new paint color.”
2. “I update the dining room by finding a fabulous new fabric. I’ll have it made into a tablecloth or just fold a length of it and run it down the center of the table.”
3. “Make the most of children’s artwork. I use terrific frames and paperweights from the Conran Shop to showcase my sons’ art.”

Here are a few of the incredible rooms from Aerin's East Hampton home:

I love these vintage Frances Elkins stools!




In her Manhattan home, she seems to have created a very family-oriented space, with of course, her signature touch of elegance.


The eggplant walls make such a beautiful contrast with the white artwork and gold chairs. This room must look gorgeous at night.



Ah, the piest de resistance! Aerin's Manhattan dressing room remains one of my favourite rooms of all time. This was the first room of her home that I ever saw, and I'm still in awe.

A big part of my obsession with this room is the beautiful wallcovering by Gracie. I have found a close alternative from Romo, another great wallcovering and fabric company, that would give the same effect.


The first two are "Tamaki", the second two are "Seraphine". Both are available in about eight colour varieties.

I know, I felt happier after seeing her homes too. To read the full Elle Decor article, click here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails