4.25.2010

The Beautiful Shelter: Kitchen

It's here! I'm so excited to finally unveil the first room in the Beautiful Shelter home series. As someone obsessed with food and decorating, the kitchen seemed like the most appropriate place to start.

(Side note: If you've taken a quick peak and are thinking "does she not know how to use a computer?!", let it be known that I can....barely. I have fought with several trying to format this in a great way, but maybe by the end of the series I'll have that down.)

The beauty of doing a kitchen for a home that doesn't exist, for clients who don't exist, is I've been able ignore all rules of budgets or client needs. I tried to be practical, just like I used to take attendance when I taught "school" to the imaginary kids in my room. Now I'm making up client families. Can't be a good thing.

Photos 1 and 2 taken from Modern Glamour...one of my favourite design resources!

For this space, I've even surprised myself with an unconventional mix. Think traditional meets modern. Vintage meets industrial. Johnny Depp meets Kim Cattrall. Yes, an unlikely pairing. But trust me, it works!

Inspiration

Mid- and dark-tone woods. Bright whites and dark caviar. High polished lacquers and distressed wood. Old world charm. Modern functionality.

The Space
A page from my notebook - selected colours and finishes. This incredible cipollino bianco marble from CIOT ties in all of the colours beautifully, and is a modern take on statuario or carrera.
Modern stainless hardware matches the appliances - from Richelieu.








Since these clients are avid chefs (actually he is.....this is a dream situation, after all) and frequently cleaning up messing little hands, this industrial faucet and deep apron sink fit the bill for both style and function.











I love the soft rounded corners on this apron sink.











Viking appliances are like jewelry for a room, and I think this gas stove would work well in this kitchen...with a nice big fridge, of course.
To compliment the "European farmhouse" design, a large hutch with open storage for cookbooks, pottery and wine glasses will sit near the eating area. Imagine this gorgeous piece times three.
In fact, if there were tall ceilings and the cabinetry could be built-in sky-high, I would love to see a rustic ladder perched up to it.
I found these incredible vintage industrial stools that would work beautifully at the island.






In keeping with the modern marble counters, this white lacquered table is the perfect match. It can take a serious beating from the little tikes, or seat a large group for casual dining.




To keep the balance between light and dark, vintage and modern, I'm pairing the sleek kitchen table with these beautiful Eames chairs, done in a wood veneer.




These bubbly Reeves pendant lights from Arteriors would be stunning as a pair over the island.














Over the long kitchen table, these Arteriors pendants would look glamorous and sparkly. I would stagger as many as eight, in small and large, to create a custom fixture that sets off the space.







Last but not least, the kitchen needs a piece of memorable artwork to admire while cooking or eating. My colleagues often tease me that I'm always throwing in an unexpected hit of colour in my projects, so this is no different! I think either of these stunning paintings would pop against the neutral backdrop...and of course, turquoise is the colour of 2010.
"Abu Dhabi Green Cities" by Karen Parker

There you have it! "Renovation" of room #1 complete. No window treatments in this kitchen - just lots of french doors out to the patio. To the outside of the palace. Bon appetit!

Next up....the living room!

Jenna's notebook selections:
Hardwood Flooring
Paint from Benjamin Moore: Trim and ceiling: Dove White, Cabinets: Deep Caviar, Walls: Stonington Grey
Marble Counters and Back splash

For further selections, leave a message and I'll list the source!

All photographs used in this post are linked to their original source, and are not property of The Beautiful Shelter.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails